The Dining Car serves up great sandwiches on fresh focaccia bread, with a rotating menu to match the seasons.
If you spot The Dining Car’s bright orange truck, it’s worth stopping by to see what they’re serving.
Currently you’ll encounter some pretty fantastic-sounding items on The Dining Car’s spring menu, such as:
- Honey Truffle Goat Cheese Sandwich – Marinated goat cheese spread, honey truffled walnuts, and greens with sherry vinaigrette on French bread
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich – Grilled chicken breast, avocado, sliced cucumber and wasabi aioli on a crusty baguette
- Kielbasa, Peppers, Onions and Potato Sub – Smoky kielbasa with peppers, onions, potatoes, olive oil and garlic
- Crispy Cauliflower – Fresh cauliflower florets lightly fried, served with curry aioli
- Slow Roasted Australian Spring Lamb – Cooked low and slow with garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served warm with goat cheese and greens dressed with pomegranate vinaigrette.
The Dining Car Review: Grilled Chicken Sandwich
I had the Grilled Chicken Sandwich minus cucumbers, which I can’t stand. The sandwich was decent, with the wasabi aioli adding a nice kick. The avocado didn’t do much for me, but I’ve always thought avocados are a bit overrated. I mean, they don’t really taste like anything–why do so many people go bonkers over them?
They are certainly high quality sandwiches, with fresh ingredients and wonderful breads.
Once again though, the price seems a bit steep for truck food. At $7-8 a sandwich, they aren’t cheap. Originally I wanted to get the goat cheese sandwich because I’m head over heels in love with goat cheese, but $7 seemed like too much for something that didn’t even have any meat in it.
In addition to the Grilled Chicken Sandwich, I also tried the Strawberry Shortcake, which was ridiculously delicious. Definitely try it if you stop by.
The Dining Car gets 3.5 out of 5 forks!
If you don’t mind the somewhat above average prices, you can certainly enjoy some great sandwiches here, and some really exceptional deserts.
I’ve also heard awesome things about Alex’s Ugly Sauce, but I completely missed it when I was there. Had it at SOWA last weekend and it’s great – try a dollop on your Dining Car sandwich and tell me what you think. Just beware the dragon.
What do you guys think of The Dining Car? Are the sandwiches worth the price?
Also, there are a number of food truck contests happening:
- Vote for Paris Creperie in Mobile Cuisine’s Best Food Truck Graphic Design contest–they’re the only truck in the contest from New England, so be sure to vote for them!
- Boston A-List is also hosting a contest for Best Food Truck in the Boston Area, so be sure to vote for your favorite food truck.